What is a glossary and how do I use it?
The glossary feature allows you to specify translations for words and phrases.
To create your own glossary via the DeepL website and DeepL desktop apps, please do the following:
- Click on the Glossary button in the top right-hand corner of DeepL Translator
- Specify the language pair for your glossary
- Enter the term which should be replaced (source text) and your preferred way of translation (target text)
- Add the glossary entry
You can also create glossary entries by simply clicking on your preferred translation in the translation window and saving the pair to the glossary when asked in the pop-up.
To apply your glossary, click on the toggle switch enabling the glossary. When enabled, the switch will be displayed in green with the label ON.
To turn off the glossary feature, click on the toggle switch again. When disabled, the switch will be displayed in blue with the label OFF.
Currently, glossaries can be created for the following language combinations:
- English into German (EN -> DE)
- German into English (DE -> EN)
- English into French (EN -> FR)
- French into English (FR -> EN)
- English into Spanish (EN -> ES)
- Spanish into English (ES -> EN)
- English into Japanese (EN -> JA)
- Japanese into English (JA -> EN)
- German into French (DE -> FR)
- French into German (FR -> DE)
Further language combinations will be added in the near future.
Please find more information about the use of glossaries within CAT tools and plug-ins here.